Monday, January 28, 2008

Glass and doggone fate...

Winter Stream
Fused float glass with silver inclusions, 7x10 in, unmounted


I have been playing in my glass studio, making some small fused panels using float glass scrap. In this case, basically high end window glass-- the stuff left over from framing my pastel paintings. This is the first time I've tried working with float, and I like what's emerging. This is one of the pieces that came out of my experimentation-- just leaning against crumply white paper so I could take a photo. Reminds me of an ice skimmed winter stream.

I'd like to mount this and one or two other pieces made of float, plus some I had made earlier using colored art glass. I've been developing ideas for designs for vertical welded mounts, and mounts combining rock and metal. I want to learn how to create my own mounts, and go futher in exploring how glass and metal could be joined artistically. I had planned to take a course in welding this spring--something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Best laid plans and all that. I thought the shoulder I'd injured while trying to shovel heavy plow in December was sprained. Weeks went by and it wasn't getting better. It was getting worse. Turned out it was dislocated, and though it is now back in its proper place, the soft tissue around it are significantly damaged. The doctor stopped just short of saying the "s" word (surgery), but I know it is on the table. After I heal a week or so by resting, I'll be going to a PT for evaluation and to see if therapy will strengthen the weakened tissues that hold the shoulder joint in place.

I can paint for short periods, but it is hard to to keep my arm up, even with the elbow tucked. I can still work on glass for short periods, making just short cuts so I can keep my elbow close to my body, and stopping before it gets sore. Even typing is possible by supporting my elbow.

But dang, that welding course is out. So thinking of other options for mounting. But... I got to thinking. I can leave the big stuff til later. I don't need to know about TIG and MIG and all that fancy stuff (I don't like the sound of things that go "bzzzzt" anyway). All I need is a small brazing torch and somebody who can teach me the basics. Hmmm. Gonna start asking around. Stay tuned.