Monday, January 5, 2009

The Bridge

The Bridge
20 x 16 inches, oil on canvas



I've been working on this off and on for about a month, in between other things. Not sure I'm finished yet. Finished enough to post. There is something about this one that appeals to me, and at the same time leaves me wondering why it feels unfinished. The thing to do is set it aside and wait. Maybe it'll end up in the discards. Maybe it'll feel ok the way it is. Maybe I'll do more work on it.

The bridge in the painting is there if a bit ethereal in execution. There are several literal bridges superimposed in my vision here, and several not literal bridges superimposed as well, all of them representing a transition from one state to another, spiritual or physical. I suspect this is why I am reluctant to make this painting detailed in any way.

And yet: when I look at the painting, I see each of the places vividly. I wonder if you also have a special bridged place that this painting will evoke for you?

PS: 3/18/2009. "The Bridge" is no more. I had it hanging over my desk, and the more I looked at it, the less I liked it. Put it on my easel, thinking I'd rework it. Then I put it upstairs in my drying room for a while. Then I took it down and scraped it and gessoed it. I feel better now.